You may want to take part in Labour’s leadership elections. You can do this as a Unite member at no cost to yourself. Here’s how.
Unite members can apply to be Labour party affiliated supporters and therefore be eligible for a vote in Labour’s leadership elections, but there are criteria for applications to be accepted.
Unite members must:
- Have been a member of the union since 12 January 2016
- Pay the political levy – this will be the case unless the member has opted out. It is a portion of member subscriptions to fund political campaigning by the union.
- Agree to the statement that they support the aims and values of the Labour party and are not a supporter of any other political party and agree for their contact details to be shared with the Labour party.
- Be on the electoral register at the address given to the union and the Labour party.
- Provide a date of birth and email address.
- Apply to be an affiliated supporter before 8 August 2016. To do this, fill in the form at the link below.
You can also pay £25 and join the Labour Party if you so wish. Registered membership opens on 18 July and closes on 20 July. - See more at: https://www.unitetheunion.org/campaigning/unitepolitics/your-party-your-voice/#sthash.vmuqMmL4.2kENnAU2.dpuf